One of the important tasks a virtual assistant is hired for is to manage the blogs of the outsourcers in their websites. The virtual assistants must see to it that blogs are added frequently and regularly to make the websites relevant at all times.
BUT WHAT IS A BLOG? A blog (short for weblog) is a personal online journal that is regularly updated for general public consumption. Blogs are also referred to as web logs or weblogs. However, the term “blog” may cause less confusion, as “web log” can also mean a server’s log files.
A blog is a specific type of Web site that is made up of a series of entries arranged in reverse chronological order and should be updated frequently with new information about particular topic to make the website relevant. The information can be written by the site owner, inspired from other Web sites or other sources, or contributed by other users or visitors to the site., or by the virtual assistant hired to do this task.
In many ways, blogs are like public journals where individuals or companies publish original content related to their interests or industry on a regular basis.
Blogs encourage social interaction; readers are encouraged to comment on blogs they like, share them with friends, and subscribe to new updates with a type of RSS Reader.
Blogs are a beautiful thing, but they really do require research, skill, and dedication.
One special feature unique to blogs are their format, i.e., they come in a series of entries posted on a single page in reverse chronological order , from the most recent post at the top of the page to older posts and as you scroll down the page . This format differentiates a “blog” from an “article” which is posted only once and where no succeeding followup related topics are expected.
Blogs are generally personality-oriented, expressing the author’s opinions on the purpose of the Web site that hosts the blog. Topics may touch on short philosophical musings, comments on Internet and other social issues, and may link to other sites the author prefers, especially those supporting his view made on a post. The author of a blog is often referred to as a blogger.
For the most part, blogs have three features that set them apart from other types of websites:
1. A blog’s content is usually updated far more frequently than a regular site.
2. Blogs can also be syndicated, meaning, it could be read through a web browser or through a feed — people can read the posts on a blog without actually visiting the site.
3. Blogs offers interaction between the website owner or blog writer and its readers who could express their opinions on the topics discussed in the blog.
Types of BLOGS:
1. A personal blog is a commentary or online diary written by one person. This is the most common type of blog. Many personal blogs are simply intended to be seen by the writer or a small group of the writer’s friends and family.
2. Corporate blogs can be used for business purposes. These types of blogs are used to facilitate communication in a company or for marketing and building the company’s web presence.
3. Niche blogs focus on one particular topic. The topics can be virtually anything, from travel to politics.
NOTE: To keep a blog interesting, you can use several different types of blog posts. Your posts can be instructional or informational. You can use a post to review a product. A popular type of blog post is a list. You can also interview someone in the field that your blog addresses and make that into a post.